How To Throw A Great Party – Team Opera 2010 Wrap Up – October 6, 2010
It was a bitter sweet end for Team Opera last night. We had our annual team party to wrap up the ball season and of course, to see each other one last time before storing our gear away for the winter.
What’s great about our team and what makes us play so well together is our bond. We spend time each season outside of our regularly scheduled games to catch up. We’ve grown into a bit of a summer family; so naturally, we had to throw ourselves a party to officially say our goodbyes until next Spring.
What makes a party a great party? Other than the people, the atmosphere can make or break a get together. Instead of going to a pub or restaurant where everyone is confined to their seats and conversation is limited to small groups within ear shot, we rented the party room in a teammate’s condo building, enabling easy mingling. The boys gathered around the tiny television to watch the endless loop of highlights showcasing Doc’s no hitter while the girls gathered around the tray of delectable veggies.
And what party is complete without great food? By providing our own food and beverages, we were able to cut costs and save money. We ordered wings from the local bar – the Richmond Rogue – (which turned out to be a great idea as they were delicious!) and pizza from Veronica’s usual pizza joint, Pizzaiolo. With ten pounds of wings, veggie sticks and three party-size pizzas, we had enough to feed our small army and then some. The food was a great hit and was gobbled up within minutes.
How do you make a party more than just a party? The highlight of the night was the presentation of the much anticipated year end plaques. After the traditional MVP-esque awards our first year, we have started trying to appeal to the team on a more entertaining and personal level. This year’s theme was Famous Movie Quotes! Ashley and Veronica had a great time reciting memorable movie quotes and trying to match them to each teammate.
Quotes that made the cut:
- “There’s No Place Like Home” Dorthy Gale, The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- “Tell ’em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper” Knute Rockne, Knute Rockne, All American (1940)
- “Go Ahead, Make My Day” Gary Callahan, Sudden Impact (1983)
- “The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of” Sam Spade, The Maltese Falcon (1941)
- “Do Or Do Not, There Is No Try” Yoda, Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- “I’m The King Of The World!” Jack Dawson, Titanic (1997)
- “Round Up The Usual Suspects” Capt. Louis Renault, Casablanca (1942)
- “I’ll Be Back” The Terminator, The Terminator (1984)
- “I feel the need – the need for speed!” Lt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, Top Gun (1986)
- “Say Hello To My Little Friend” Tony Montana, Scarface (1983)
- “Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner” Johnny Castle, Dirty Dancing (1987)
- “I Think This Is The Beginning Of A Beautiful Friendship” Rick Blaine, Casablanca (1942)
- “I’ll Have What She’s Having” Customer, When Harry Met Sally (1989)
- “You talkin’ to me?” Travis Bickle, Taxi Driver (1976)
- “A martini. Shaken, not stirred” James Bond, Goldfinger (1964)
The plaques and the party were, of course, well received by the entire team, wrapping up yet another exciting ball season. Cheers!